I finally made it over to Home Depot today. I’ve been putting it off for say…a year now? Last spring, my plan was to try to make our bedroom even darker. I know, I know, we already have black out curtains and all, but there is this little strip of light that gets through the top. I thought that hey, maybe I can nail up a little board horizontal from the wall and stop that light! But getting to Home Depot is quite a chore and I hate errands in general so Summer came and went and Winter arrived along with it dark mornings. Ah nice. Then 3 weeks ago, the light came back! I tried getting wood online and finally gave up ($45 shipping for <$3 of wood!), so off to Home Depot I went.
So what on earth does this have to do with tomatoes? Well…I decided to make my Home Depot run much more interesting. I decided to grow tomatoes! And thai basil. And cilantro. I’m so excited! But it really is just a gamble, since up until now, I haven’t been able to keep a cactus alive.
Here is the supplies I got:
1 wooden barrel
1 bag of little rocks (to let the water drain easier)
1 big bag of organic soil
1 Early Bird tomato plant
1 thai basil plant
1 cilantro plant
1 tomato cage
1 container plant food
Here is what I did:
- Placed the small rocks at the bottom of the barrel.
- Added a little soil.
- Put in the tomato cage wrong! I put it in upside down and figured it out after looking at online pictures. How embarrassing. Anyways, it has been fixed.
- Added soil up to the top.
- Dug a hole in the center for the tomato plant and put it in past the bottom leaves (apparently they grow roots well).
- Dug two little holes on the edge for the thai basil and cilantro.
- Watered the plant with a hose.
So. We’ll see what happens. I’ll keep you updated on the progress (or failure) of this new project!