One of our favorite places to eat in Los Angeles is the Korean taco truck, Kogi. The kimchi quesadillas are amazing, as are the tofu tacos and sliders. Tonight I tried making kimchi quesadillas and yum! See my version of Korean tacos here.
I have searched high and low for a recipe of the amazing sauce the kimchi quesadillas are drenched in with no luck. Not the sour cream sauce, but the other one. My attempt is below (Warm Ginger Sauce) and while it is nothing like the original, it is quite tasty. I used both pickled and raw ginger, mayo, butter and srirachi. To balance this rich sauce, srirachi sour cream is cool and refreshing.
Warm Ginger Sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 onion chopped
1/4 cup pickled ginger
2 tablespoons mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon srirachi
- Heat butter in a skillet and saute onions until soft.
- Add pickled ginger, mayo, sour cream, soy sauce and srirachi and cook for a few minutes.
- Blend in a food processor or grinder.
Cool Srirachi Sour Cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon srirachi
- Mix together until smooth.
Kimchi Quesadillas (per quesadilla)
Shredded sharp cheddar or other strong flavored cheese
1/3 cup kimchi chopped
- Heat a little butter in a skillet.
- Fill a tortilla on one side with cheese and kimchi and fold.
- Add to skillet and cook on each side until the cheese is melted and the outside a little crispy.
- Serve with warm ginger sauce and cool srirachi sour cream.