I used to swear by Hunt’s Manwich Bold Sloppy Joe Sauce, but then for the Super Bowl (yes it has taken me a while to post this :-)), I thought I’d try my hand at a homemade sauce. I used Lightlife soy crumbles and people said you couldn’t tell it wasn’t meat! The sauce is rich, tangy, spicy, and sweet. Enjoy!
2 tablespoons butter
1 green bell pepper chopped into small pieces
1 onion chopped
12 ounces soy crumbles
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup bbq sauce (I like smokey mesquite style best!)
1/4 – 1/2 cup white vinegar (depending on how tangy you like)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons worshestershire sauce
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon chili powder (or cayenne)
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon white pepper
9-12 Dinner rolls or mini buns
- Heat butter in a saute pan.
- Add green bell pepper and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add onions and cook until onions and bell pepper are tender.
- Add all of the other ingredients, stir well, and cook until the flavors meld.
- Serve on dinner rolls sliced in half or mini buns.