These tex mex baked beans are sweet spicy tangy and oh so fabulous! I got the recipe from my step mom and the couple of times I’ve made them, they have been quite a hit. They make a great and easy addition to a brunch menu. The original recipe calls for 4 cans of beans (kidney, black, garbanzo and cannelini) but I didn’t have cannelini in the cupboard when I made these, so I just made a smaller version of the recipe with kidney, black and garbanzo beans. I also made it a little spicier and a little less sweet.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion sliced
1 can red kidney beans (15 ounces)
1 can black beans (15 ounces)
1 can garbanzo beans (15 ounces)
1 small can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
½ teaspoon liquid smoke
1-2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon hot sauce (Crystal, Tapatio, Cholula, Tabasco, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a big skillet or saute pan and saute onions until translucent and browned.
- Drain and rinse beans and add to skillet along with tomato sauce, brown sugar, molasses, worcestershire sauce, white vinegar, liquid smoke, chili powder, hot pepper.
- Stir well and pour into a baking dish. I used an 9 x 9 enameled cast iron baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.