I haven’t made an apple, walnut, and blue cheese salad in forever so I decided to make it last night. It is really easy to lightly candy walnuts and makes them so good for this salad. Some recipes call for … Continue reading
In the cupboard next to the stove and above the spices we keep all the bottles that make for juicy cooking. Somehow this cupboard keeps getting fuller and fuller!
- Olive Oil – We use this for everything.
- Coconut Oil – This is how we deep fry. Also used in anything that a little hint of coconut sounds good with. I think it is the healthiest oil to cook with.
- Sesame Oil – LOVE sesame oil! It is so good in Asian dressings and stir fries.
- Mustard Oil – Used in achari, jhal moodi, and Bengali cooking.
- Soy Sauce or Tamari – Soy has wheat, tamari is wheat free. I use them interchangeably.
- Dark Soy Sauce – I use Pearl River Bridge Superior Dark Soy Sauce and love it. They also have a mushroom version that is great.
- Kecap Manis (Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce) – To die for! Sweet and thick. Used in Indonesian cooking.
- Maggi (Maggi Seasoning Sauce)- Soy based but with a unique flavor. Used in vegetarian Vietnamese and Thai cooking. Tastes kinda like Braggs.
- Vegetarian Oyster Sauce (here)- Substitute for regular oyster sauce.
Vinegars & Cooking Wine
- White Vinegar – Especially for marinating onions as a Indian condiment. Also used in achari and other dishes.
- Rice Vinegar – Good vinegar for Asian dressings and other Asian dishes.
- Balsamic Vinegar – For salad dressings and glazes. Oh and great with extra virgin olive oil and a crusty loaf of bread.
- Red Wine Vinegar – Great for salads.
- Black Vinegar – Great for Chinese dipping sauces. I tried a random brand and found it totally unpalatable, so ended up ordering Chinkiang Vinegar on Amazon. I don’t know if it is the real deal, but it tastes 10 times better to my palate!
- Apple Vinegar – Great in dressings and other recipes.
- Rice Wine – For Chinese dishes.
- Mirin – Japanese sweet rice wine.
I thought this veggie bacon, lettuce, and tomato jam, sandwich was to die for! The picture doesn’t do it justice. So the other night, we’re watching Diners Drive-Ins and Dives and they were showing a bacon, lettuce and tomato (BLT) sandwich from … Continue reading
This dip of black beans, corn and feta is such a quick and amazing picnic dish! My friend Lily brought it to a potluck we had a while back and I just got the recipe. It does make quite a … Continue reading
It has probably been 10-15 years since I last made potato salad. The one thing I remember is tasting it after refrigerating it to “let the flavors meld” and thinking, where did all the flavor go!?! There is something about … Continue reading
Inspired by this post for BBQ “Pulled Jackfruit” Taco Experiment in Everyone is Vegan and a picture of a blackened fish taco with pickled red cabbage and cotija cheese in Outside Magazine, I came up with these scrumptious tacos filled with juicy … Continue reading
We absolutely loved this new warm butternut squash salad I found on thekitchn. I was especially excited because this is the first time I’ve made winter squash because my husband is not a big fan, and he liked it! The … Continue reading
We had this delicious kale salad while having dinner with friends of ours a while back and she gave me the recipe. We’ve made it a few times since changing up the ingredients with what we had on hand. Pine … Continue reading
I had no idea how dinner was going to turn out last night. I knew the tofu and beans tasted good, but the topping and sauce? It wasn’t until the first bite that I realized these Jamaican jerk tofu tacos … Continue reading