We absolutely loved this new warm butternut squash salad I found on thekitchn. I was especially excited because this is the first time I’ve made winter squash because my husband is not a big fan, and he liked it! The dressing I made is a little different because of what we had in the pantry.
I love autumn and everything that goes with it: falling leaves, Halloween, Thanksgiving, warm sweet buttery foods, and just the overall feel of it. I wish we lived someplace with real seasons because I just know it would be great!
We had this salad with brie, caramelized onion and pear sandwiches. I think this would be great with goat cheese too, but since we already had cheese in the sandwich we didn’t have it that way this time. This made about 3 nice sized side salads to go with sandwiches.
Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 shallot minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar (honey would work nicely too!)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together. I shake in a small mason jar.
Warm Butternut Squash Salad
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 butternut squash cut into little pieces
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
~5 ounces arugula (I used most of the Trader Joe’s 7 ounce bag)
Apple cider vinegar dressing
1/2 cup candied walnuts
- If you have whole nutmeg and/or allspice, grind together with the cinnamon and salt.
- Toss the butternut squash, spices and salt together, and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Heat the apple cider vinegar dressing for 30 seconds to get it warm.
- Toss the arugula with the squash, dressing and walnuts. Enjoy!