It is so hot suddenly! Perfect time for a light salad. This started out as a falafel salad, but the falafel we had in the freezer tasted like the freezer and suddenly toasted sunflower seeds and raisins sounded so good, so I will call it a Mediterranean salad instead.
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon
1 garlic clove minced
Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup tahini (I used the tahini sauce from Trader Joe’s-delicious!)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 1/2 romaine hearts
1/2 bell pepper
1 small red onion
2 small tomatoes
4-6 ounces feta cheese
2 whole wheat pita breads
3/4 cup garbanzo beans drained
1/2 cup currents or raisins
- Mix the olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper to make the dressing.
- Thin the tahini out with a little water.
- Toast the sunflower seeds even if they were already toasted.
- Chop the romaine, cucumber, bell pepper, and red onion into bit size pieces.
- Cut the feta into small pieces.
- Slice the pita into little squares, spray with olive oil, and toast until they are crispy but still a little soft.
- Mix everything together and drizzle with tahini!