Idlis are steamed breads made of ground dal and rice that has been fermented and are usually served for breakfast with various chutneys (especially coconut) and sambar. We keep a box of Gits Rice Idli Mix because they come out so fluffy and are so quick to make!
1 big box dried idli mix (500gm)
3 3/4 cup water
2 teaspoons enu (fruit salt, it makes the idlis really fluffy!)
- Mix idli mix with water and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Boil an inch of water in a pressure cooker.
- Grease idli stand with a little oil.
- Add enu to idli batter and stir.
- Ladle idli batter into idli stand, put into pressure cooker without the weight (so it will steam).
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Let sit for a few minutes to let the steam exit so the idlis don’t get wet.
- Serve with sambhar and coconut chutney. Mmm!