This green bean and potato subji is super simple and perfect for a weekday night.
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
1/2 onion finely diced (optional)
1 pound green beans chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
1-2 small potatoes cut into bite-sized pieces
1 teaspoon tumeric
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tomato diced
1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan and add jeera.
- Once the jeera toasts a little, add the onion and brown it a bit.
- Add the green beans and potatoes and stir constantly over high heat to get them cooking.
- Add the powdered spices and stir for a couple of minutes longer.
- Add the tomato, ginger, salt, and a little water, lower the heat, cover and let the green beans and potatoes steam for a while, stirring occasionally.
- Once the green beans and potatoes are tender, remove the cover and dry out the curry a little.
- Serve with rotis and yogurt.