Aloo mutter is a Punjabi dish of potatoes and peas. A while back I posted another not so traditional version of aloo mutter which is much more saucy and tomatoey. Today I post a more traditional version that has a few tomatoes, but it is more dry and all about the potatoes and peas. I based my recipe on Honey What’s Cooking’s blog.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 big onion chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 piece ginger minced
2 green chilis chopped
3 tomatoes chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
3/4 pound potatoes (I used one baking potato and 4 little potatoes)
1 cup peas
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized pan over medium heat to medium high heat.
- Add cumin seeds and saute until they brown.
- Add the onion and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and green chilis and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and salt.
- Add the potatoes and a little water, cover and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peas and more water if necessary (I kept adding a little more water as the potatoes cooked).
- Cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Top with cilantro and serve with roti, rice, yogurt and papad!