Last night was about simple American comfort food. Tomato soup with no fuss grilled cheese sandwiches. And finally my husband likes a homemade tomato soup! He normally only likes ones like Campbells, none of these nice chunky tomato soups. So I tried to make a homemade thin sweet version.
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion sliced
1 clove of garlic chopped into chunks (not minced) or one cube of trader joe’s frozen garlic (for me the frozen is way better than the jar which has a bitter taste)
1 can of tomato sauce or ~two cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup milk or half & half (optional)
1 squeeze ketchup
1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
Water (depending on how thin you like your soup)
- Heat oil and saute onions until a little bit caramelized. I cook them over high heat at first stirring constantly for a couple of minutes to get them start faster, otherwise it takes forever!
- If using fresh garlic, add it in part way through cooking the onions. I like bigger chunks because they seem to caramelize nicer without burning and getting bitter.
- Separate out a little bit of the onions for the grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Add the tomato sauce, milk or half & half, ketchup, sugar and salt. If using frozen garlic, add it now.
- Cook for a few minutes, then blend with a little water until it is nice and smooth.
- Add it back to the pan adding water depending on how thin you like it.
- Heat until hot, pour into bowls, and top with fresh basil.
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
4 slices of whole wheat bread crusts removed
Butter (or butter & olive oil spread)
Extra sharp cheddar cheese
Caramelized onions (see above)
- Lightly butter one side of all pieces of bread.
- Lightly mayo the other side (the inside).
- Top 2 of the breads with a little grated cheese.
- Add a little of the onions and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Add a little more cheese.
- Put the other pieces of bread on top creating a sammie. Mayo side goes inside.
- Pan fry over medium low heat and flip once one side is brown and the cheese is starting to get melty.
- Press down a little with your spatula and cook for a few more minutes until that side is browned and all these cheese is melted.