I think I’ve figured out what makes me like a yellow cake. Butter! I thought I had followed the Brown Eyed Baker’s recipe for margarita cupcakes really closely, then realized that when cutting the recipe in half, I used the full amount of butter! They were moist, crumbly and delicious! I think they would have also been fantastic with less butter, but hey I’m not complaining. This makes 6 cupcakes. I only had salted butter, so I used that and omitted the salt.
For the frosting I used a cream cheese frosting with a little lime and tequila. I started with the same frosting for redless velvet cupcakes and added lime and tequilla, but then I had to add more powdered sugar to get it to stiffen up some. The frosting didn’t never did quite stiffen up enough, but it still tasted good! I fussed around after looking at other recipes, and lime zest might have been the ticket! It wouldn’t have made the frosting as liquidy 🙂
Tequila Lime Cupcakes
3/4 cup flour
1/2 + 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened
1/2 cup sugar
Zest and juice of about 1/2 to 1 lime
1 tablespoon tequila
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup buttermilk or 1 teaspoon vinegar + enough milk to make 1/4 cup (let vinegar and milk sit for about 5 minutes before using)
1-2 more tablespoons tequila
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix flour and baking powder together.
- In a bigger mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar using a hand mixer.
- Add in the egg and mix well.
- Add in the zest, lime, tequila, and vanilla, and mix.
- Add in half of the flour mixture and beat until just mixed.
- Add in half of the buttermilk and beat until just mixed.
- Add in the rest of the flour and beat until just mixed.
- Add in the rest of the buttermilk and beat until just mixed.
- Fill a muffin pan with cupcake liners 3/4 full of batter.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean.
- Brush each cupcake with a little tequila (I used a silicone basting brush).
- Once cool, top with tequila lime cream cheese frosting.
Tequila Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
Squeeze of lime (next time I’ll try lime zest!)
1 tablespoon tequila
2 1/2 – 3 cups powdered sugar
- Beat the cream cheese and butter using a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add lime and tequila and mix.
- Add in the powdered sugar slowly until the frosting because fluffy and a little stiff.