Here is a recipe for super flavorful Spanish rice. The chipotle peppers in adobe sauce give it smokiness and heat. I also toast the rice which enhances the flavors, but I’m not sure why!
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 onion sliced
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
2 cups medium grained rice (I use jasmin rice)
3 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce chopped
1 can diced tomatoes drained (save the liquid)
Water and tomato liquid to make 3 cups water
- Heat the oil in a saute or medium sauce pan and toast the cumin seeds.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent
- Add the oregano and rice and saute until the rice becomes opaque.
- Add the chipotle chilis, diced tomatoes, water/tomato liquid, and salt. If you taste the water, it should be fairly salty.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer for about 22-25 minutes.
- Let sit for a few minutes then fluff.