This yellow rice is a perfect accompaniment to Cape Malay vegetable curry. Most recipes I have seen online don’t include sauteed onions, but I think they are essential! The yellow comes from the use of turmeric. This will serve 8 people or so. If you want to make a half recipe, use about 2 cups rice to a little less than 3 cups water. Jasmine rice uses a 1 part rice to 1.5 water ratio, but I find that as you increase the rice, you need a little less water per cup of rice.
4 tablespoons butter
1 onion sliced
1/2 cup raisins
4 cups rice (I like jasmine rice in this)
5 1/2 cups water
1/2 tablespoon turmeric
1 stick cinnamon
Toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- Heat butter in a heavy bottomed dutch oven (I used an enameled cast iron dutch oven kinda like this one) over medium hight heat.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add raisins and saute until plump.
- Add rice and stir until the rice turns opaque.
- Add turmeric, water, cinnamon and salt (taste the water and it should be a little salty).
- Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat to a low simmer, and cook for 25 minutes. Do not lift the lid while it cooking.
- Fluff rice with a big spoon and top with slivered almonds.