I am finally posting the tomato sev curry that we had with onion and potato subji a few weeks ago. They go so well together!
The first time my husband made tomato sev curry, I was skeptical. Curry made with sev?? Sev is little crunchy deep fried noodles made of chick pea (besan) flour that is used most often in chat (Indian fast food/snack food). But it works surprisingly well in curry!
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1 onion sliced
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 piece ginger minced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon amchur powder
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 cups water
1 cup sev
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Heat oil in a saute pan and add cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds start to get toasty, add the onions and saute until they brown, adding the garlic part way through cooking.
- Add the ginger, tomatoes, turmeric, chili powder, amchur powder, and salt, and cook until the tomatoes get mushy.
- Add the sugar, tomato paste, and water and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the sev and cook until soft.
- Stir in cilantro and serve.