I have had this recipe for batata rassa, potatoes in a wet gravy, in my “to try” items for quite a while now. I used the recipe just as an idea, adding onions and tomato, and changing the order and amounts here and there. I used a pressure pan, which is just a smaller pressure cooker, but a normal pan will work just fine. They were ready in just a few minutes! The coconut, goda masala (more about goda masala here), and peanut powder gave these potatoes so much depth. I love these potatoes!
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 garlic cloves
1-2 teaspoons ginger minced
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/8 to 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon goda masala
1 tomato chopped
2 medium russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- Heat coconut oil in a pressure cooker/pan or medium sauce/stock pan.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Once they sizzle, add the onions and saute for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile grind the coconut, peanuts, garlic, ginger (using a coffee grinder or small food processor) and add to the onions. Cook stirring quite a bit for a couple of minutes.
- Add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, goda masala, tomaotes, potatoes, salt, and 2-3 cups of water.
- Cook in the pressure pan for about 2 whistles or in a normal pan until the potatoes are tender.