This channa dal with spinach is super fresh and flavorful! The spinach, cilantro and garlic give it a very, how can I say this, bright taste. I didn’t cook the dal quite as much as usual to give it a different texture. This dal goes really well with basmati rice, papad and yogurt.
1 cup channa dal
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
5-6 dried red chilis
3 garlic cloves sliced
1 onion sliced
2-3 green chilis chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 tomatoes chopped
8 oz fresh spinach
1 cup cilantro chopped
- Pressure cook the channa dal (I used two trays: one for rice and one for dal. In on tray I put 1 cup dal with 3 cups water and in the other 1 cup of basmati rice and 2 cups water. I took the rice out after 8 minutes (after the first whistle) and cooked the dal for another 6-7 minutes (after the first whistle).
- Heat oil in a saute pan and add the jeera.
- Once the jeera starts to toast add the red chilis and garlic and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent, adding the green chilis part half way through.
- Add the dal, tomatoes, tumeric, chili powder, and water to the desired consistency.
- Add the spinach, cilantro, and salt and cook for 10-15 minutes.