I just ate this leftovers from last night and I really do think there is nothing better than the combination of chutneys, yogurt, onions, cilantro and spices over something warm and crunchy. Just crunchy is good, but when it is a little cold outside, warm and crunchy is even better! It all started with my husband Tejas saying that chaat sounded good. At first I wanted pani puri, but he wanted dahi puri. Mmm, what to do. Samosa chaat! I found this great little recipe and we had some frozen samosa’s in the freezer so it was all set.
1/2 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1 pinch hing (asofoetida)
1 small onion sliced
1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
1 cube Trader Joe’s frozen garlic
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon rajma masala (or channa masala, we only have rajma masala though)
1/2 teaspoon amchur powder
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 potato mashed (I might skip this next time)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 can garbanzo beans drained
- Heat oil in a small saucepan and add jeera until toasty.
- Add hing and onions and cook onions until soft and brown.
- Add ginger and garlic, tumeric, chili powder, rajma masala, and amchur powder and cook for a minute or so.
- Add tomatoes, mashed potato (if using), sugar and salt and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add channa and a little water and cook for 10-15 minutes.
A note about this recipe:
- I used prepared ginger and garlic in this recipe, but you can always use fresh!
Hot cooked samosas
Yogurt thinned out with water
Tamarind date chutney thinned with a little water
Mint chutney thinned with little water
1/2 small onion diced
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- Place a couple of samosas in a bowl or on a plate.
- Top with channa masala, yogurt, chutneys, onions, and cilantro.
- Sprinkle with chaat masala and black salt.
A couple of notes about this recipe:
- I like the yogurt and chutneys really cold, so I use refrigerated water to thin them out or put them in the fridge/freezer for a couple of minutes.
- How much yogurt, chutney and such to add it all to taste. We like a lot of yogurt and quite a bit of the tamarind date chutney, but less of the mint chutney.