When I first tried an Indian snack food called dahi puri, it was like I had stepped into heaven. Each bite was a burst of flavors and textures–savory, sweet, spicy, fresh and crunchy, all at the same time. Dahi puri is one of a multitude of Indian snack foods called chaat. I love every type of chaat I have tried so far: dahi puri, papri chat, pani puri, sev puri, bhel puri…
Today, my husband Tejas and I have been having a lazy Sunday and decided to make a snack of papri chaat which is like dahi puri kinda but on flat discs and tomato chaat. It was so satisfying!
Most of the ingredients can be purchased at an Indian market. You can make the chutneys at home, but we like to have store bought chutneys ready for chaat on demand. You might notice that you can’t even see the puri’s on the plate. That is because we like it juicy! Also, we don’t use too many puri’s since they are deep fried.
Flat disc puris (store bought)
Garbonzo beans rinsed (canned)
Sweet chutney/tamarind & data chutney (I like Deep Home Style brand)
Mint chutney (store bought)
- Add cold water and a little salt to the yogurt to make it more liquidy.
- Add cold water to the sweet chutney and mint chutney to make them more liquidy.
- Lay puris out on the place; don’t overlap.
- Cover with a nice full layer of yogurt.
- Add a lot of the sweet chutney; not a full layer, but really put it on there.
- Dribble the mint chutney all over.
- Sprinkle with cumin powder, then with chili powder, and then with black salt.
- Sprinkle on the cilantro.