On my first visit to India, my mother in law showed me how to make the most delicious baingan bharta. Baingan bharta is an eggplant curry. There are different ways to initially cook the eggplant. I roast it in the oven, my mother in law boils it, and sometime people grill it or hold it over the gas flame until it is all soft and charred. This dish is so flavorful, yet light, and super tasty. Perfect with yogurt and soft rotis.
2 large eggplants
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
1 onion chopped
3 tomatoes chopped
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 1/2 tablespoons coriander powder
2-3 teaspoons sugar
1/2-2 cups water (depending on how juicy the eggplant is and how long you cook it)
Good squeeze of lime
1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and bake eggplants for about 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add jeera until it browns a little then add the onions.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the tomato, tumeric, chili powder, garam masala and corriander.
- Cut the eggplants in half and scoop out the flesh into the pan.
- Mash up the eggplant using a fork.
- Add salt, sugar and water, and stir. Cook until all the flavors meld, about 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice and most of the cilantro and stir.
- Top with the rest of the cilantro.