I am really not sure why the rice in this picture is so yellow. It wasn’t really yellow at all! Anyways, this rice came about because I wanted to make enoki mushrooms that we got at the Asian market and I wanted to use this yuzu kosho rub that I’ve had forever. I ended up making Baked Enoki Mushrooms and Roasted Cauliflower w/ Yuzu Kosho and needed something solid to round out the meal. I found this recipe for a Japanese style fried rice that uses tonkatsu sauce. I didn’t have any on hand so I found a homemade recipe here.
1/8 cup of ketchup
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp yellow mustard
2 tsp rice wine
4 allspice berries ground
3 cloves ground
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix all ingredients together (I use a little jar and shake).
1 cup raw calrose rice (or other short grain rice)
1/2 tablespoon oil
1-2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 onion chopped
1 carrot cut in small pieces
1/4 cup frozen peas
1-2 tablespoons more oil
2 eggs beaten
2-3 tablespoons tonkatsu sauce
1-2 green onion sliced
- Cook rice in a rice cooker or on the stove. Calrose takes a little less than 1 1/2 cups water per 1 cup of rice. Cool rice in fridge or make the day before.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a wok.
- Add garlic and cook for a minute, then add the onion.
- Meanwhile cook the carrot until soft. You can either boil it on the stove or boil in the microwave for a couple of minutes.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the carrots and peas and stir until the peas thaw.
- Push the veggies to the side and add the remaining oil.
- Pour in the eggs and cook for a few seconds, then add the rice and stir so that the eggs coat the rice and vegetables.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and tonkatsu sauce and mix everything together.
- Top with green onions.