My husband loves General Tso, so tangy, spicy and sweet! He asked me to make a version with cauliflower and I found this yummy recipe on Pure Wow. I put all the cauliflower ingredients in the freezer so that they come out lighter in the fryer. I haven’t tried this recipe without chilling it and it might not be necessary since General Tso is more crunchy chewy, but I can say for tempura, it has changed everything for me! I can make light and airy tempura now.
While General Tso can be found on Chinese menus everywhere, oddly enough it isn’t an authentic Chinese dish. Here is a fun story about it’s origin.
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 small/medium cauliflower cut into florets
- Mix 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup cornstarch, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl and place in freezer until ready to fry.
- Beat 2 eggs, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon rice vinegar and also place in the freezer until ready to fry.
- Put cauliflower in the freezer too!
General Tso Cauliflower
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
5 small dried chiles
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cup soy sauce
1/4 cup + 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
3 tablespoons mirin
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Coconut oil for deep frying
Toasted sesame seeds
A few green onions chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a small sauce pan and saute a few minced garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon minced ginger, and 5 small red chilis for a couple of minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/4 cup + 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar, 3 tablespoons mirin, and 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar and bring to a boil. Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with a little water and add to sauce to thicken.
- Heat the coconut oil over high heat. Take the flour and egg mixtures out of the freezer and mix together carefully, it is okay if there are lumps. Add cauliflower and coat each floret with the batter.
- Deep fry until all sides are browned and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Toss with sauce and top with sesame seeds and green onions.