We love the Chicken-Less Mandarin Orange Morsels from Trader Joe’s. So last night I cooked up a quick fried rice to go with it. Day old rice works great, but if you don’t have any around, you can cook the rice while you’re starting the other stuff.
1 cup uncooked white rice or about 3 cups cooked rice (I used jasmine)
1/2 teaspoon oil
2 eggs scrambled & salted
1 teaspoon more oil
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves sliced or minced
1 carrot diced
1/2 cup peas
1-2 even more tablespoons more oil (I like using sesame oil for this)
1-2 teaspoon soy sauce
2 green onions chopped
- Cook your rice if you need to.
- Heat the 1/2 teaspoon oil on a non-stick skillet and cook the eggs in a thin omelette.
- Remove the egg from heat, roll up and cut (like the picture).
- Heat the 1 teaspoon oil in a wok and add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Pre-boil the carrots (I use a bowl with carrots and water in the microwave for 3 minutes).
- Add the carrots and peas to the wok, add a little salt and cook the peas through.
- Push everything to the side and add the rest of the oil to the pan.
- Once the oil is heated, throw in the rice and let it crisp in the oil a little.
- Add the salt and pepper and then mix everything together.
- Throw in the egg and green onions and give it a final stir.