These soyrizo gravy breakfast puffs are a fun weekend breakfast! Puff pastry baked with soyrizo gravy and then topped with an runny egg, they are super yummy.
My puff pastry didn’t puff up as much as I would have liked, but they were still good. I think I rushed the defrosting and the butter got too warm but I’m not sure. I don’t have time to wait all day for puff pastry to defrost 🙂
The puff pastry at Trader Joes is great because it is made with butter instead of hydrogenated oils like the Pepperidge Farms kind.
You could also use vegetarian sausage gravy for these puffs.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 jalapeño sliced
~4 inches Soyrizo
1 sheet puff pastry defrosted
Green onions chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat butter and flour in a skillet until the flour is a little cooked. Whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a skillet, and then brown the jalapeños and Soyrizo. Throw into the gravy and cook until thickened (it may seem thin at first but it will thicken up). Salt to taste.
- Cut puff pastry into 4 pieces with a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Take a sharp knife and score a border around each square being careful not to cut through. Then take a fork and poke little holes in the inner square. This scoring and poking will keep the center thin for topping and the border poofy.
- Add a spoon of the sorizo gravy to each square and bake on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Fry eggs over easy and top each puff. Sprinkle with green onions and cilantro.