Here is another amazing recipe from Smitten Kitchen! Monkey pull apart bread. Oh my it is good. A lot of recipes for monkey bread call for pre-made biscuit dough, but this uses homemade slightly sweetened bread dough and a warm oven for both rises. I made this for a brunch we had recently. It is best right out of the oven!
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup milk
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) rapid rise yeast
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
2 teaspoons salt
Butter for greasing bundt pan
Brown Sugar Coating
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon ground
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- Turn the oven on to 200 degrees, then turn it off.
- In a medium size bowl, add butter, milk, water, and sugar. Microwave for 60-90 seconds until about 110 degrees. Add the yeast and stir.
- In a stand mixer using the dough hook, throw in the flour and salt and mix well (I use a spoon to get it evenly mixed, since the dough hook won’t really do this).
- Turn on the stand mixer to low and slowly add the milk mixture. I use a funnel to get the milk in there without spilling it everywhere! Any suggestions on an easier way to get liquid into a mixer? Once the milk has been incorporated into the dough, turn to medium and let the machine knead the dough for about 6 minutes. Take the dough out and put in a greased bowl (I used olive oil spray). Spray dough with more olive oil spray. Cover with plastic wrap or foil and put in oven for 50-60 minutes or until it doubles.
- Meanwhile melt the butter for the brown sugar coating in one bowl and mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.
- Grease a bundt pan with butter.
- Take the dough out and form into an 8 x 8 square. Cut into 64 little pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a little ball. Dip each ball into the butter and then into the brown sugar cinnamon mixture. Place each sugar coated dough ball into the greased bundt pan.
- Place the bundt pan back into the warm oven to let rise again for 50-60 minutes.
- Take out the bundt pan and heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for about 30 minutes then flip onto a platter. Yum!!!