Vodka pink sauce is one of me and my husband’s favorites. I used to make the cream sauce separate from the pink sauce and then pour in some separately made marinara. This was partly so that we could add a little more marina to the dish if we were in the mood. We are big tomato sauce fans! If we eat pasta or pizza out, chances are we’ll be asking for a side of marinara!
Anyways, this time I did it all in one pot and didn’t go super heavy on the cream and it was perfect. We didn’t even need that extra tomato sauce.
If you have fresh oregano and thyme around, it is even better, but I only had dried on the day I made this.
We had this with homemade gnocchi.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh if you have it)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1/2 tablespoon fresh if you have it)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1/2 cup vodka
1 28 ounce can whole plum tomatoes
2-3 teaspoons sugar (to taste)
1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil and butter in a sauce pan.
- Add onions and cook until they get translucent, adding the garlic half way through cooking.
- Add oregano, thyme, chili flakes and vodka and cook until the alcohol burns off.
- Blend tomatoes in a blender until smooth and add to pan.
- Add sugar and salt and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add cream.