Inspired by this post for BBQ “Pulled Jackfruit” Taco Experiment in Everyone is Vegan and a picture of a blackened fish taco with pickled red cabbage and cotija cheese in Outside Magazine, I came up with these scrumptious tacos filled with juicy BBQ jackfruit, chunks of avocado, pickled red cabbage, and queso fresco. I made homemade BBQ sauce and gave it a Mexican twist by adding Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, cumin, and oregano, but to make these tacos up really fast, you could use bottled BBQ sauce.
Young green jackfruit in the can be found at Indian and Asian markets. If you can’t find it, substituting seitan (found at Whole Foods) would work well too!
Pickled Red Cabbage
2 cups red cabbage shredded
2 tablespoons vinegar and/or lemon/lime juice
Fresh ground pepper
- Mix all ingredients together while cooking the other ingredients.
Mexican Influenced BBQ Sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (I used hickory)
2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon oregano
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or blender.
1 can young green jackfruit drained and shredded
Mexican influenced BBQ sauce or your favorite bottled sauce
6 Corn tortillas
Olive oil spray
Pickled red cabbage
1 ripe avocado cut into junks and salted
4 ounces queso fresco or cotija cheese crumbled
- In a small pan mix the jackfruit and BBQ sauce together with a little water and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or so.
- Spray corn torillas with olive oil spray and cook over an open flame until soft. They will get really soft and then firm up.
- Top tortillas with BBB pulled jackfruit, pickled red cabbage, avocado, queso fresco/cotija and cilantro.