Oh my! I have decided that I must always have lavash and mozarella in the fridge for an impromptu pizza! Today I tried a version using Trader Joe’s whole wheat lavash with basil almond pesto, sauted onions, bell peppers, and eggplant, tomatoes, and mozarella and wow was it good! Now I’m thinking of all the other possibilities: carmelized onions and goat cheese, simple tomato, basil mozarella, mixed sauteed mushrooms, etc…
I had heard about using lavash for a pizza and then a couple of weeks ago we were in Austin visiting family and my brother in law made the pest pizza using finely diced vegetables and pesto. It was so good! So I decided to try a version using lavash and basil almond pesto. I absolutely love toasted almonds and they worked really well in the pesto.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 bell pepper finely chopped (red, green or mixed)
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 small eggplant finely chopped (optional)
1 piece Trader Joe’s whole wheat lavash
~1/2 batch basil almond pesto
1 tomato finely chopped
Shredded basil (optional)
Chili flakes (optional)
- Heat the oven to 400 with a pizza stone or cast iron pizza pan in the oven. A cookie sheet also works just fine, but might take a minute or two longer.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute the bell peppers for a couple of minutes. Add the onions and eggplant and saute until all the vegetables are a little soft.
- Spray lavash with olive oil spray and put on pizza pan. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Take out the pizza pan and flip the lavash over.
- Spread on the pesto, sprinkle with veggies, tomatoes, a tiny sprinkle of salt, and mozzarella.
- Cook for 5 more minutes, then sprinkle with basil and chili flakes.