Black dal was one of the first Indian dishes my husband, Tejas, taught me. It is a little richer and spicier than the other dals we make. A popular dish is Dal Makhani which has cream, but I skipped the cream. I did realized that what I thought was black dal from Trader Joe’s probably isn’t black dal, but it is still prepared in a black dal style 🙂
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon cumin
2 medium onions sliced
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 inch ginger diced
1/2 box of Pomi ChoppedTomatoes (or a can of diced tomatoes)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons tumeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 package Trader Joe’s lentils (or 1-2 cups pressure cooked black dal)
2 teaspoons sugar
Squeeze of lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a pretty big sauce pan.
- Add cumin until it browns a little.
- Add onions and cook until they get slightly soft.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook all until the onions are browned and the garlic is soft.
- Add tomatoes and powdered spices.
- Add dal, salt, sugar, and water and cook down for a while.
- Add a squeeze of lime, stir and top with a little chopped cilantro.